The St Mary’s Gate Inn, (named after the St Mary’s Gate in Arundel Castle), was built in the 26th year of the reign of Henry VIII in 1525. Its original use was as a thatched farm building. Since then it has been owned by tradesmen as varied as a stonemason, a linen draper, and a wine merchant.
In March 1764 Henry Mackett, described as a Tapster, (or a keeper of Ale Houses), became the Landlord and this tradition is still carried on by our team to this day.
The building has been altered over the years creating the Saloon Bar, (originally built to accommodate craftsmen building the cathedral next door), in the 19th century and the 5 annex guest rooms added around 20 years ago.
The first-floor rooms in the original part of the building (16th century) housed Oliver Cromwell and his guardsmen during the mid-1600s, legend has it that the ghost of Cromwell’s chief guard still roams and protects the rooms today!v